- Vauxhall Motors launches new seventh generation Astra
- New generation model secures 2,000 jobs at the Ellesmere Port plant
- Five million cars manufactured at Ellesmere Port since 1962
|Vauxhall Motors celebrates over 36 years of its iconic Brit-built Astra, with a patriotic Union Jack created by 128 of its new 7th generation models.|
To celebrate the launch of the all-new seventh generation Vauxhall Astra, workers at the Ellesmere Port manufacturing plant – home of the Astra for over 36 years – choreographed 128 new models to create the image of the Union Jack flag.
Vauxhall’s seventh generation Astra is the eleventh major model-line to be built at Ellesmere Port and guarantees 2,000 jobs at the Cheshire plant over the next decade. The plant secured a long-term contract in 2012 and a £140 million investment which further demonstrates the brand’s continued commitment to manufacturing the iconic car in Britain.
The patriotic image, orchestrated in under 24-hours, pays tribute to over 36 years of manufacturing the Brit-built best-seller, which has seen over five million cars roll off the Ellesmere Port production line. Three million have been sold in the UK alone – with 50,000 in the past 12 months and 2 million exported to 25 European markets. It is estimated that at full production in 2016, the plant will build approximately 680 Astras per day with further growth in subsequent years.
The British success story extends beyond the Astra itself – as for over 50 years, Ellesmere Port has been the manufacturing home of every compact class Vauxhall in the UK. With nearly 25 per cent of parts sourced locally from UK suppliers, the plant is a significant contributor the local economy and the continued investment at the facility is set to boost UK manufacturing, utilities, construction, transportation and storage companies by at least £70 million.
- One in four Britons has owned an Astra
- c25% of a Vauxhall Astra is produced from British sourced materials
- It takes approximately 24 hours to build an Astra, from sheet steel to the finished article – this is expected to reduce to just 22 hours as production grows
- 3 million Astras have been sold over the past 36 years - 50,000 in the past 12 months
- 5 million vehicles have been manufactured at Ellesmere Port, with 2 million exported to 25 European markets
- £140m investment in the Ellesmere Port factory
- The Ellesmere Port plant will build approximately 680 cars per day and 120,000 per year
Tim Tozer, Vauxhall’s Chairman and Managing Director said, “The all-new Brit built Astra raises the bar in terms of quality, design and connectivity. Lighter than ever before, with new powertrains and cutting-edge technology, the new Astra is set to shake up the C-segment with it arrives in showrooms.”
He continued, “The Vauxhall Astra has been one of Britain’s best-selling and most-loved cars produced for over three decades. The next generation Astra not only continues to drive this legacy and celebrate the strong British heritage of the brand, but is also a key investment for the home of the Astra – Ellesmere Port – and celebrating the workers who have built the vehicle to world class levels of quality and productivity, making it a household name.”
The all-new Astra is in Vauxhall showrooms from October, priced from £15,295 on the road.