- Beacon in the night: Long range bi-xenon headlamps
- Great visibility no matter what the conditions: Heatable ThermaTec windshield
- Warm in a matter of seconds: Heated steering wheel and front seats
- Safely through the winter: Six tips for driving in ice and snow
|Great visibility no matter what the conditions: New Opel Corsa E with heatable ThermaTec windshield|
The days are getting shorter and the temperatures are dropping. Driving in the winter months often means unpredictable weather and road conditions, less comfort and an increased safety risk. Opel vehicles counteract this by offering numerous comfort and safety features – not only for medium-sized cars. Even the smaller models such as the new Opel Corsa offer clever solutions. The heatable ThermaTec windshield, the heated exterior mirrors, the interior mirror with automatic dimming and the Bi-Xenon headlamps guarantee outstanding visibility and ensure that the new Corsa is fun to drive no matter what the conditions.
“We ensure that Opel drivers can have a safe and enjoyable journey throughout the year even in smaller and more affordable vehicles such as the new Corsa. Therefore, it offers numerous ‘intelligent’ technologies often only found in vehicles from higher segments so that the driver and passengers will reach their destination safely,” said Peter Christian Küspert, Vice President Sales & Aftersales Opel Group. “The new Corsa is an inviting drive even when it is freezing cold.”
Peephole in the winter ? Not with the new Opel Corsa E !
When it comes to safety visibility is key. When it is cold outside and damp or warm inside the car, the windshield can often fog up resulting in zero visibility. The optional ThermaTec windshield guarantees comprehensive and consistently clear vision. At the touch of a button, it renders condensation meaningless. The heated rear window and the heated electric exterior mirrors guarantee that drivers have unlimited vision of what is happening behind them. The interior mirror with automatic dimming is a further advantage in the dark. As soon as a following vehicle enters the driver’s field of vision, the mirror dims. Elsewhere, the Bi-Xenon headlamps with LED daytime running light and cornering light are made for adverse weather conditions with poor visibility. Commuters who often leave in the dark in the morning and do not return until the evening definitely appreciate the advantages of Opel’s ultra-modern lighting technology.
|New Opel Corsa E: Bi-Xenon headlamps with LED daytime running light and cornering light|
On the road in adverse conditions ? Opel reduces stress and increases comfort.
Numerous chassis and drive technologies also increase safety levels while simultaneously reducing stress when driving in slippery conditions caused by falling leaves or freezing moisture. This includes the Electronic Stability Program (ESPPlus) and Traction Control (TCPlus) with motor and braking intervention along with ABS with Cornering Stability Control (CSC) and Brake Assist (BA), guaranteeing best possible directional stability.
Additional advantage: Just like its predecessor, the new Corsa E comes with heated seats and steering wheel. Within one minute, you will be able to enjoy pleasant warmth no matter how cold it is. The optional auxiliary heating (available for numerous Opel vehicles) with remote control or programmable timer warms the car’s interior, giving the driver the chance to get into a well-tempered vehicle.
|Warm in a matter of seconds: New Opel Corsa E offers heated steering wheel and front seats|
However, the new Corsa E is not the only Opel model that provides drivers with extensive safety features during the dark and cold months. Bi-Xenon headlamps in combination with the safety lighting AFL+ (Adaptive Forward Lighting) are available in many further models such as Astra, Insignia, Mokka or Zafira Tourer. The variable xenon headlamp beam automatically adapts to diverse road and weather conditions with variable light distribution providing increased safety for all road users. An extensive package with up to ten intelligent lighting functions guarantees a relaxed drive in the dark or when visibility is poor.
Furthermore, models such as the Mokka, Insignia and Insignia Country Tourer are equipped with adaptive all-wheel drive. When required the system switches from front-wheel to all-wheel drive in an instant, thus ensuring best possible grip.
|4x4 power: Opel Insignia Country Tourer, Opel Insignia OPC and Opel Mokka on tour in the snow-covered mountains.|
Opel is prepared, the drivers should be too
Opel is doing its best to ensure that driving in the cold season is as enjoyable as possible by offering numerous safety and comfort features in models ranging from ADAM to Corsa or Zafira Tourer. Nonetheless, the driver still plays an important part:
- Use Anti-freeze: Windshield washer reservoirs, pipes and water jets do not freeze up and vision remains unobstructed when it really matters.
- Check the anti-freeze in the engine cooling system or ask your Opel partner to check it for you. The cooling water needs to do its job in the cold too and can only do so if it remains fluid.
- Winter tires: Winter tires give better grip and shorten the braking distance in cold weather. Summer tires harden in cold weather, thus slipping on the cold surface whereas the special rubber compound used for winter tires offers better grip.
- Snow chains: The chains should only be used when the road surface is covered in snow or on mountainous roads. Mounting should be practiced in advance. Please ensure that the chains match the size of the tires. And: The chains will only help if they are carried on board.
- Anticipate and avoid sudden steering maneuvers: This will keep the car on the road safely.
- Allow for more time: Often, snowy conditions come unexpected. No matter how pretty it looks, the car has to be cleared of snow and ice completely before setting off. That includes the side windows and the roof. Therefore, an emergency braking maneuver will not result in “flying blind” and other drivers will be grateful if snowballs from your car do not hit them. This can also prevent a fine.